Dive into the enchanting world of “Are You My Mother?” with six hands-on activities and crafts that bring P. D. Eastman’s timeless tale alive right in your home. From creating a hatching chick papercraft to enhancing fine motor skills with farm-themed worksheets, these projects are tailored for little learners who adore the story.
“Are You My Mother?” is more than a book—it’s an experience that invites children to ponder the amusing idea of a bird asking various animals if they are its mother. Beyond the laughter, it serves as a platform to discuss different baby animals and their names. It also beautifully illustrates the unwavering bond between a mother and her child, reassuring little ones that a mother always returns.
As Mother’s Day approaches, we’ve also woven in delightful crafts perfect for toddlers and preschoolers to express their love. Enjoyed the journey with the baby bird? Share your thoughts in the comments!
Quick Start Guide
- Read by watching the read aloud video of the story for the week.
- Learn by building connections between concepts from the story and your child’s world through active reading.
- Play one of six story extension activities to engage and build upon new concepts learned.
Enhance your at-home preschool curriculum with our activity guides, tailor-made to complement beloved tales like P.D. Eastman’s “Are You My Mother?”. Anchor your lesson plan around this classic and let our diverse activities bridge various subjects, deepening the learning experience. For those just discovering the magic of TigerKubz’s Storybook-based Activity Guide, delve into our introduction post for a comprehensive overview.
Listen to the Story
This Week’s Activities
Paper Plate Hatching Chicks
- Paper plates
- Yellow construction paper or felt
- Craft supplies
- Optional: googly eyes, paper fastener, yellow feathers
- Cut out the body and the beak (and wings if feathers are not available) from felt or construction paper and glue them onto the plate.
- Cut a second paper plate in half so that it looks like a cracked egg.
- Glue the bottom half to your first paper plate and attach the top half with a paper fastener (or glue in place if fastener is unavailable).
Farm Animal Babies
- Match the baby animals to its parent.
Farm Animal Patterns
- Print and cut printable.
- Have your child place the animal that comes next in the pattern.
Mother’s Day Keepsake
- Art supplies
- Have your pre-writer cut and paste his/her favorite qualities of Mom.
- Decorate and give as a present to Mom for Mother’s Day!
Mother’s Day Birdhouse Card
- Printable Template
- Craft sticks
- Googly eyes
- Art supplies
- Optional: card stock
- Print out the template and trace onto construction paper or colored card stock paper.
- Assemble the pieces to your choosing or use the project picture here as a model.
Explore Our Learning Kits
Ignite your child’s passion for learning with TigerKubz. Each kit is expertly crafted to promote critical thinking, literacy, math skills, scientific curiosity, and social studies awareness—all through the joy of reading and play.
Are you ready to be your child’s hero in their learning adventure? Dive into the TigerKubz difference today and witness as each storytime becomes a springboard for discovery and growth.
Explore our Learning Kits and watch your little one’s literacy take flight – because with TigerKubz, every parent is a teacher, and we help you make every moment an opportunity for learning.
Sheryll is the proud mom to 3 boys (3, 7, and 14-years-old) and wife to her better half. She is the founder and CEO of TigerKubz and is on a mission to empower parents with tools to easily engage their little learners. When Sheryll is not thinking of creative ways to make learning experiences of everyday life, changing diapers, or chasing after her kids, you may find her in the kitchen trying out new recipes, attempting to fish on a nice day, or jamming out to Disney singalongs with Alexa.